The High Alert Institute, Inc. envisions a world where all people, families, communities, businesses and organizations are disaster ready.
The High Alert Institute helps those not served by municipal, local, county, state, regional or federal programs/agencies to be Disaster Ready.
We will support, promote and when possible, provide:
- Disaster Education, Planning, and Preparedness for animal owners, animal caretakers, and animal welfare organizations.
- Disaster Response and Recovery for animal owners, animal caretakers, and animal welfare organizations.
- Disaster Rescue, Domestic Violence Respite, and Voluntary Surrender for freshwater non-native exotic and ornamental aquatic pets.
- Shelter for rescued and surrendered freshwater non-native exotic and ornamental aquatic pets.
- Coordination and Mutual Aid between freshwater non-native exotic and ornamental aquatic pet rescues and shelters in North America.
We will advance:
- Alignment of Emergency Management and Disaster-Readiness guidance to match best practices in animal care, rescue, conservation, and welfare.
- Technology to reduce the carbon footprint for aquatic animal care, while increasing the resilience of aquaponic facilities in the face of natural and manmade disasters.
- Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion Practices in the profession and integrate these as values into our organizational culture.
What we do
Disaster Education & Readiness
Bridging Preparedness Education for Humans and Animals
Mutual Aid & cooperation
Partnering for the Benefit of Animals and Their Humans
AQUATIC PET RESCUE & SHELTER
Caring for Our Finned Friends
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH SUPPORT
Sharing the Scientific Truth and Experience
ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP & GREEN TECHNOLOGY
Protecting Nature Through Innovation
SOCIAL DETERMINANTS of HEALTH
Raising Awareness of Environmental Health Factors for Humans and Animals
DISASTER BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
Promoting Mental and Emotional Resilience
THE JOY OF KOI
Healing Through Koi Therapy
WHAT YOU CAN DO
PATENTS & INNOVATIONS FOR GOOD
Never Let a Good Idea Go to Waste
PHOTOGRAPHY FOR GOOD
Make a Difference with Your Eye for Nature
BECOME A JOY OF KOI SPONSOR
Give the Gift of Recovery
Enjoy Koi Without a Pond
ADOPT A KOI
Open Your Home & Heart to a Finned Family Member
Apply Your Talents to One or More Institute Programs
BE A FUNDRAISER
Show Us How Fundraising Is Done
PARTNER WITH THE INSTITUTE
We Are All More Resilient Together
SHOPPING FOR GOOD
Do Good While Shopping Online
USE INSTITUTE STOCK IMAGES
A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words and 3 Bits to the Institute